Monday, August 15, 2005

I'll hold down the castle...

Since FB will be indisposed this week with his dog-sitting duties, I will be doing my best to hold down the fort. I promise to lay off the Hero Generator. I think it's contagious.

On Friday, a little piece of me hopped on a plane and made its way to Europe…again. Obviously I didn’t go anywhere. I’ve never been to Europe and for the time being, I’ve no plans (or money!) to go. The piece of me that left was the little bit of my heart The Princess always has with her. I think it was stuffed in a suitcase between some protein bars and those cute flip flops I rescued from under her couch just before departure.

(The Princess, for those of you who don’t recall or are just joining us, is my oldest gal pal. We have been friends since high school. Yes, we did go to my senior prom together. No, we never dated. If I weren’t gay, though, it would have been an honor. And a guaranteed disaster. But our parents would have been happy for all sorts of reasons.)

The Princess got word some months ago that she had the opportunity to go to London for a three-month job assignment. Now, going to Europe is old hat to my world traveling friend. Her dad lives and works in Spain and she’s been on all sorts of vacations, school trips and sabbaticals. Last time she left, she didn’t even know when she’d be back! So why then, was this time harder to take than any of those of others?

I guess it comes down to the fact that we’ve grown so much – both separately and together – in the past few years. Recently, she moved closer to me than she’s ever lived before. We now work and live within a three mile radius of each other. Someone can be the best friend in the world from afar, and believe me, she has been. But when they're close enough to make plans at the drop of a hat with, you really become attached - moreso than we realize, usually.

I know my favorite girl is coming back sooner than it seems, but I will miss her for every one of those days that she isn't there to call and ask out for coffee. I got emotional during our goodbyes over tacos and margaritas but held it in. FB and I talked about this weekend about how it was harder to see her off than we expected. And when I got an email from her this morning, I welled up. This isn't like me, I thought. She really is that important in my life.

October can't come quickly enough. I love you, Princess.

-J.

8 comments:

Pimpin' said...

Aww... how sweet. Don't worry, she'll be back soon. And she'll bring back presents if she knows what's good for her.

Now we just gotta find something to occupy all that extra free time you'll have now.

Jay Six said...

"What're you suggesting...?" he said, with a raised eyebrow, a smirk on his face and a mischievous twinkle in his eye...

Jake McCafferty said...

With FB gone, here's your chance to take back over.

The queen is dead! Long live the queen!

*evil laugh*

Anthony said...

Don't promise to lay off the Hero Generator. Or if you do, when you bring it back I DEMAND to be the next person heroed. :P

Anthony said...

And you will bring it back.

Jay Six said...

Jake - when the revolution begins, you will be my most trusted lieutenant. I know this means you will eventually usurp me in a bloody coup, but who doesn't dream of being taken down in a blaze of glory?

Tony - I'm just not going to blog Hero Generation every day. I won't quit cold turkey. As for your other request, er demand...we'll see.

*evil laugh*

Pimpin' said...

5 letters, honey...

Matt S. said...

Oh Jay, you are so sweet. I am sorry to hear you friend is jetting off, but like the wise Pimpin D stated, she will be back soon enough. Then it will back to coffee dates in the mornings and Margaritas at night! Sometimes I like to do those in reverse, makes for a fun day at work.