Thursday, July 07, 2005

At Long Last...

Another tag-team post. In his weakened state, Jason may be reduced to a puddle. (He did once decree the double-team posting better than Bel-Ami action!) As always, J. is in blue. BF, er FB is in red. So without further delay...

Wonder Twin Powers....ACTIVATE!

Form of: an Elvis ice sculpture!!!! Shape of: Magilla Gorilla!!!!

So the long weekend was nice. With all of the vacationing I've done recently, I didn't think I needed time off, but a weekend of doing nothing but watching TV with my best friend was just what the doctor ordered. It seems that when I need to decompress a Twilight Zone marathon(I got to see the one with a young Dean Stockwell in it, YUM!!!) and smart-ass commentary do just the trick. This weekend was no exception. And there were fireworks - from my balcony and the roof of my building you could see for miles the legal and illegal varieties.

It was really cool when Burbank's Starlight Bowl (Burbank's answer to The Hollywood Bowl) lit the hillside on fire with their display. It was a real fire in the works show. It spread nicely over the hills like coco butter on a well tanned Greek sailors...........drifting, sorry. But it was a nice moment we shared with J's landlord who was also up there. When we got back inside J played the overture of 1812 on his lil' record player for me. The 4th isn't complete for me without hearing that at least once.

I went for my old 4th of July standby - Aimee Mann's appropriately titled "4th Of July." (Today's the fourth of July/Another June has gone by/And when they light up our town I just think/What a waste of gunpowder and sky...) It's tradition, but it isn't necessarily what I feel about the day. Still, I listen to the Mann any chance I get.

J and I watched LOGO this weekend. It was our way of lazily celebrating our own homo independence. I wish this was around when I was a kid. I got stuck watching PBS. Which was way gay positive in the early 90's. They did so much and got so much flack for it. It's weird to think they were able to get away with crazy stuff like Tales of the City. I love them. I need to donate next pledge drive. I hate those things...oops. Me too. It's like watching PBS with commercials. But they run some of the best stuff during those drives, like old Sinatra specials. I feel bad for not doanting, but the local NPR station gets my money every year and I can't even get decent reception at work!!!

We shopped at Amoeba and dove into their discount junk bins for reduced opera. Yeah, opera. I love the shit!!! Pardon my French (or Italian). But I do. Even though I do have a long standing feud with Kathleen Battle because that bitch stole the lead in La Traviata away from me. But she is a diva, as in greatly talented yet extremely bitchy diva. Her reputation is poor but her pipes are amazing. In this one song, in the last ten seconds she hit's a note that reduces me to teary eyes. Not tears but close. I lost the ability to cry years ago when I worked at The Bunny Ranch. I had to keep my mind on the money and my money on my mind. But anyhoo, the song is great. She has (had? I haven't heard her lately and wonder if she's pciked up those affected diva mannerisms so many divas develop...) an amazing gift. You could honestly pick up any of her CD's and be pleased. I don't know what the sudden interest in opera is but I'm glad I'm getting back into it. I know this makes us sound cultured but we still watch trashy movies and pick our teeth with match book covers. (Personally, I prefer to pick with TVGuide. Or my keys.) We're still down to earth kinda guys. Yeah, normal, average joes with perfect teeth, flawless skin, six-pack abs and demands for Voss water, fresh cut long-stem roses, and bowls of M&Ms with the green ones removed(they make you horny). Maybe that's why we weren't invited to perform at Live 8...

Speaking of Live 8, did anyone else watch what passed for coverage this weekend? Pathetic. The VJs talked over almost every single performance! Obviously, they're looking to sell the forthcoming DVDs so why let people see whole performances. Except of course for Linkin Park(boo), who got run live and almost uncut. Who are they f*cking at MTV? And I'm pissed because if they ran any of that Madonna performance, I missed it. Anyhow, I will be renting the London show if/when it hits the states. Otherwise, I will simply wait until the next Live Aid event when I'm in my forties(there's going to be another Live Aid next year???) - I'm sure Lourdes will be doing a number or two with Mama and her walker...(haha)


Well, folks, I hope it lived up to your expectations. If not, come back again another time. We'll do this again soon and it's only going to get crazier... Damn right!!!!

1 comment:

jason said...

Hot.
Very hot.
;-)