Monday, November 07, 2005

Dear Joni,

On your birthday, I wanted to write you something as meaningful and as beautiful as those word and music of yours that mean so much to me. Coming from a mere mortal,that would be impossible. So I'll shoot from the heart and hope it touches the hem. I'll avoid any unnecessary "Both Sides, Now" references.

I think I was 11 when I discovered that battered copy of Blue in my aunt's record collection.Every line, every groove, has taught me something new every time I spin it. I didn't get "A Case of You" until I'd really had my heart broken ("If you want me, I'll be in the bar" wasn't exactly common 6th grade lingo!). When that tape finally wore out, I ventured out and bought every album I could find. Although it didn't happen right away, I loved something about each and every one (especially the ones most folks hated). When I finally saw you in concert, I heard a piece of my life click into place.

My favorite song of yours is one the last original pieces of music and lyric we were graced with before you walked away from it all:


During times like these, the wise are influential
They can bear the imperfections, they can keep the harmony
No doubt about it, no doubt that's essential
No doubts! That's always been a tricky one for me...

So on this day, I will sit back and listen to my favorites and think about about all of the good times and all of the bad times your music has been there with me for. From those spare, acoustic early works to the final, sweeping orchestral pieces - I always found something for me and for others I love. I've always been fond of giving out your music as gifts. Today, I hope I gave back a small gift to you for what you've given me.

Happy Birthday, Joni Mitchell.

Stay In Touch,
-J.

3 comments:

Matt S. said...

I have always enjoyed Joni, but never really gotten past he surface, only listening to the more popular music by her. Maybe I will have to bust out one of my moms old LP's and give her a try.

I hope you're having a good day J.

Robert Allen Zimmerman said...

I love how sweet this letter was. The way you ended with "Stay in Touch" - perfect. Maybe it's resonating with my mood today, don't know, but whatever it is, this post works for me.

Jay Six said...

Thanks! I tried my best. It's odd to write such a heartfelt piece to someone I've never met, but when somebody's opened that much of themself to you, I could hardly consider her a stranger.