Tuesday, October 25, 2005

H20

Don't say i didn't warn you. Here's the first J6 foray into internet fiction - I actually wrote most of this when I was about 18. If it sucks, blame it on my youth. If you think it doesn't, my 28 year old self takes full credit for the re-write and editing. :)

Water. It boggles my mind that I'll pay a dollar for a bottle at a gas station. The stuff comes out of my faucet at home, basically for free, but I don't like the taste. When people pay for something truly valuable, like sex, at least you're reasonably assured they don't have it on tap at home. But then maybe they do and just don't like the taste of that, either. I have bottled water chilling at home, but I can't wait for it. Maybe people who buy sex just can't wait until they get home. I'm buying here at this gas station while waiting for the car to fill up. Against my better judgement, I also buy a pack of smokes.

Smoking after the gym, I realize, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. But it makes at least a little more sense than smoking before hitting the gym. Of course, now that I have the pack, I may just do that tomorrow. Life is full of inconsistencies. Like how I spend two hours sweating, shower it off in the locker room and then hit the steam room just to sweat some more. Then I rinse off, change and head home to shower "for real" (soap, shampoo, the whole show) before heading to bed.

It's a wonder I even feel the need for the bottled stuff when I spend so much of my day using water in every capacity. But then, I guess I'm just trying to make up for all that I cry out as I try and sleep unsuccessfully. The bottled water, the gym, the cigarettes - it's all a process of drinking you in, sweating you out, and drying myself off inside to try and move on. I keep hoping that as I see more body progress in the mirror, I might see it in myself. But that hasn't happened yet.

Instead, here I am, with a pack of cigarettes I regret buying. I've got an empty bottle of water I needed but didn't enjoy. And the shower is just one more chance to think about you and only you. Sure, you were shallow, but it only takes an inch of water. It's a wonder I don't drown sometimes.

File Under: Fiction.

1 comment:

Matt S. said...

Very good J, I love the last line!